How to Make Meringue Bones
Make no bones about it this recipe is eerily delicious!
Ingredients for Bones
4 egg whites
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
Directions for Bones
1. Preheat oven to 200°. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Combine egg whites and salt in a stand mixer with a whisk attachment. Whisk together until foamy.
3. Gradually add sugar, scraping the sides frequently. Wait until the sugar dissolves before adding more. Whisk until all sugar is dissolved, peaks form and it is smooth and glossy.
4. Spoon the meringue into a pastry bag fitted with a small round tip. Pipe onto the parchment lined pan in bone shapes.
5. Place in oven and bake for 2 hours. Turn off oven and let sit for an additional hour.
Ingredients for Pudding
1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups whole milk
4 large egg yolks
2 vanilla beans, seeds scraped out
8 ounces white chocolate, chopped finely
2 tablespoons salted butter
red food coloring
Directions for Pudding
1. Combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan. Stir or whisk together.
2. Pour in the milk and egg yolks and whisk together.
3. Add the vanilla. Stir over medium heat until the mixture just barely comes to a boil and becomes thick, 6 to 8 minutes (maybe less, maybe more; just watch it!).
4. The second it starts to bubble and thicken (note: it should be thick like pudding!), remove it from the heat. Add the white chocolate, butter, red food coloring and stir until everything is beautifully combined.
Pudding recipe is adapted from Ree Drumond on the Food Network.