Cinnamon Sugar Twists
I LOVE sugar.
Cinnamon Sugar Pretzel Twists with Icing
Ingredients for pretzels
4 teaspoons active dry yeast + 1 tbs sugar
1 teaspoon white sugar
1 1/4 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
5 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
1/4 cup margarine
1/2 cup sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon (mixed together)
Ingredients for Icing
1 lb powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon melted butter
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1. In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and 1 teaspoon of white sugar in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1 1/2 tsp salt. Make a well in the center and add the oil and yeast mixture. Combine and form into a dough. If the mixture is still dry, add another tablespoon of water.
3. Knead the dough until smooth, about 7 to 8 minutes or use a stand mixer with the hook attachment. Lightly oil a large bowl and place the dough in the center of the bowl. Toss the dough around to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 - 2 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
5. Once the dough has risen, put the dough on a lightly floured surface and divide into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a rope and twist it. Once all of the dough is shaped, brush with melted margarine and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 6-8 minutes, until very lightly browned. Watch carefully! Serve warm with icing (instructions below). Best right out of the oven
7. Mix all the icing ingredients together right before serving the pretzel twists. Add an additional tsp of milk if your icing is too thick.