Braided Bread Sticks
How pretty is this bread? Lalalalove.
Super Soft Braided Breadsticks
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 cups bread flour
3/4 teaspoon active dry yeast
1 cup plus 1 tablespoon warm water
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
1. In a small bowl dissolve sugar and yeast in the warm water and let sit for 5 minutes. It will develop foam on the top.
2. Now in a stand mixer (fit with a paddle attachment) combine the flour and salt in the bowl.
3. Slowly add your softened butter into the flour until it is all combined.
4. Now pour your yeast-water mixture in and use a dough hook to combine everything. Continue kneading the dough for 8-10 minutes. You may also knead the dough by hand if you prefer.
6. Place your dough in a bowl and cover it with wrap and a towel. Let the dough sit for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, until it doubles in size.
7. Once the dough has doubled, you can roll out your dough with a little extra flour and start cutting off strips to make your bread sticks. You can leave them as rectangles if you want them flat or cut the dough a little thinner and braid three pieces together for the braided look.
8. Place your dough on lined baking sheets, cover again with wrap and a towel and set aside for 1 to 1 1/2 hours on your counter until the dough doubles in size once again.
9. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and bake the breadsticks for 12 minutes, or until golden brown.
10. Immediately brush each one with melted butter and sprinkle with garlic salt or parmesan cheese and serve warm with marinara sauce (optional).