One cup of rice with only 35 calories and 6 carbs?
What!??? Noooo ...... cannot be.
This is cauliflower "rice". It's our alternative to rice for those of you who are carb conscious. We had four heads of cauliflower in the fridge last week and I asked Kelly to come up with an awesome cauliflower recipe. We already have roasted cauliflower ..... Cauliflower pizza .... cauliflower cheese dip ..... and healthy cauliflower Gobi 65 so she had to get creative. Ahem ...... rice cauliflower? Awesome! And so freaking yummy. Obviously I'm a sucker for cauliflower. Who has 4 cauliflower heads in their fridge? Weirdo.
1 large head cauliflower (rough chopped into florets)
4 cloves garlic (minced)
1/4 onion minced
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1. In a large sauce pan saute melt butter and olive oil over low heat.
2. Turn heat up to medium-low and add onions and garlic. Saute until onions are soft and translucent. About 3 minutes.
3. Pulse your cauliflower in the food processor in small batches. Chop/pulse until cauliflower is in small rice size pieces. Be careful not to over process as it will turn into a mash. You can also grate your cauliflower with a cheese grater, but we found it easier to use the food processor.
4. Add cauliflower rice to pan with onions, garlic, butter and olive oil. Add salt and pepper. Cook on Med-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Serve hot, warm or cold. It's delicious no matter what you do!
Variations we tried that were delicious:
- Add red pepper flakes for a kick
- Add soy sauce
- Add Sriracha hot chili sauce for a spicy hot kick of yumminess