Halloween Eyeball Cake
Behind every set of eyes is a story. Make your life a story worth telling. Xx
Chocolate Eyeball Cake
Chocolate Cake (Recipe from Add a Pinch)
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1½ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon espresso powder
1 cup milk
½ cup vegetable or canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
2 tablespoons milk (+ more depending on how much coloring gel you add)
Food coloring gel (optional)
Wilton candy eyeballs from Michaels or Joannes
1. Preheat oven to 350º F. Prepare two 9-inch cake pans by spraying with baking spray or buttering and lightly flouring.
2. Add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and espresso powder to a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk through to combine or, using your paddle attachment, stir through flour mixture until combined well.
3. Add milk, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla to flour mixture and mix together on medium speed until well combined. Reduce speed and carefully add boiling water to the cake batter. Beat on high speed for about 1 minute to add air to the batter.
4. Distribute cake batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes, remove from the pan and cool completely.
6. To make the buttercream frosting cream room temperature butter with a hand mixer, the paddle attachment of a stand mixer, or a wooden spoon until smooth and fluffy.
7. Gradually beat in the confectioners' sugar until fully incorporated. Beat in vanilla extract as well.
8. Pour in milk and beat for an additional 3-4 minutes. Add food coloring, if using, and beat for thirty seconds until blended. If frosting becomes too thick, add a tiny bit more milk and mix.
9. Frost cake with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting and apply candy eyeballs.